[R] can't find and install reshape2??

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 03:42:12 CEST 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Chris Howden wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m trying to install reshape2.

 From which mirror? Was it even present at the mirror at that time?
Have you tried another mirror or retried from the same mirror?

> But when I click on “install package” it’s not coming up!?!?! I’m
> getting
> reshape, but no reshape2?
>

> I’ve also tried download.packages(reshape2, destdir="c:\\") &
> download.packages(Reshape2, destdir="c:\\")…but no luck!!!

Well, that last one was sure to fail. And the first one should have
been invoked with "reshape2" rather than reshape2, .... if the help
page is accurate in saying the first argument needs to be a character
vector. In neither case would this have installed the package, however.

Can you describe what you meant by "no luck"? Did you actually check
those destinations to see if a package was downloaded? Did you get an
informative error message that you failed to report?

> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

The main CRAN site package check page says reshape2 is in good shape
to be downloaded and installed for all OSes. The usual method is to
use install.packages() so I would think the two leading possibilities
are "operator error" (wrong function)  or temporary unavailability at
the particular mirror you have set for your default.

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT