[R] Multinomial GLMMs in R

JBDurand Jean-Baptiste.Durand at imag.fr
Tue Oct 5 15:23:39 CEST 2010

    Hello,

I would like to estimate the parameters of multinomial GLMMs by maximum
likelihood. Or at least, I would like to compute the likelihood of a given
set of parameters.
In the case of multinomial GLMs (i.e. with discrete nominal response
variable), I would use a command like

> library(VGAM)
> summary(vglm(as.factor(output) ~ var1, data = mydataset,
> family="multinomial"))

In the case of binomial GLMMs (i.e. with binary response variable), I would
use a command like

> library(lme4)
> summary(glmer(as.factor(output.bin) ~ var1 + (1 | cluster1), data =
> mydataset.bin, family = binomial))

How to compute the likelihood in multinomial GLMMs, then ? (They can be seen
as an extension of multinomial GLMs with random effects, or as an extension
of binomial GLMMs to polytomous data). Or even better: how to estimate the
parameters by maximum likelihood ?

   Thanks for your help,

    JB