[R] R editor in ubuntu!

Laurent Gatto laurent.gatto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:45:38 CEST 2010

On 5 October 2010 15:29, Kjetil Halvorsen
<kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> see below.
>
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Laurent Gatto <laurent.gatto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Kjetil,
>>
>> On 5 October 2010 15:12, Kjetil Halvorsen
>> <kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> emacs23+ess is great BUT there is a very large problem which is
>>> driving me away from it:
>>> (on ubuntu) since version 23, emacs has a very problematic bug, which
>>> I have reported as:
>>>
>>> bug#6193: emacs 23 in ubuntu 10.04 gnu linux:
>>> black lines overwrite text!
>>>
>>> but the emacs devs does'nt seem to respond. This makes in practice
>>> emacs23+ess UNUSABLE until fixed.
>>
>> Am a bit surprised here, as I am happily running emacs 23 (23.1.1 with
>> GTK+ user interface to be precise) and ess on ubuntu 10.04 and I do
>> not have any problem.
>>

> I am glad to here that, but it does'nt help me;!
>
> The problem with black lines overwriting text in emacs mostly occurs
> if I have a high memory load (maybe around 1 GB used on this 2GB
> system), mostly from other programs running (Firefox, document viewer, others..)
>
> ¿can you try that?

This is a bit vague to reproduce, but I surely already ran into
similar situations were I was running short on RAM and did not have
any black lines overwriting the text. Again, I'm not very helpful I'm
afraid, but at least you know that it works smoothly on similar
systems...

Laurent

> Kjetil
>
>> Laurent