[R] R-help

G. Jay Kerns gkerns at ysu.edu
Wed Oct 6 05:50:41 CEST 2010

Dear Lemarian,

I was going to reply to say this is how I would do (almost) the same
thing with the prob package:

library(prob)
S <- rolldie(2, makespace = TRUE)
tmp <- sim(S, ntrials = 10000)
with(tmp, mean(X1 == X2))

but then it occurred to me that Greg's "dice" was much faster than
"sim" (plus that graph of the die faces is really cool!) so I was just
going to let it go.  But then again it occurred to me that simulation
isn't needed for the problem at all:

prob(S, X1 == X2)

But finally as a reality-check it occurred to me that for a problem
like this using R is like shooting a squirrel with a ballistic
missile.  Not that there's anything wrong with that;  I don't like
squirrels.

Cheers,
Jay

P.S.  Just kidding.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Greg Snow <Greg.Snow at imail.org> wrote:
> I would do it like this:
>
> library(TeachingDemos)
> tmp <- dice(10000, 2)
> with(tmp, c(sum(Red==Green),mean(Red==Green)) )
> plot(head(tmp,28))
>

> --
> Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
> Statistical Data Center
> Intermountain Healthcare
> greg.snow at imail.org
> 801.408.8111

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
VoIP: gjkerns at ekiga.net
E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu