[R] C code called from R: reallocate arrays passed as arguments?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:05:14 CEST 2010

  On 06/10/2010 10:53 AM, David wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used to use a (somehow complicated) code in C and I have tried to adapt it
> to be called from R without making an excessive amount of changes. I am
> afraid I cannot post the code here, but I am going to try to describe the
> problem as accurately as possible.
>
> I have some arguments that are most of the cases required for internal C
> operations only; but as they are needed a few times as arguments, they are
> still passed as arguments. Another argument is a "switch" (with value 0 or
> 1) that states whether these "arguments" are really needed as arguments or
> not. When such switch is 0 (says "no"), the C code "feels free" to
> manipulate these "arguments", and in particular it tries to modify its
> extension (reallocate).

You should be using .Call rather than .C if you need to modify
allocations.  You should treat arrays passed via .C as fixed size.

If you want to stick with the .C convention, then I think you'll need
two calls:  one to return the required sizes, and a second one with new
vectors allocated at those sizes.  It's often easier to learn how .Call
works.

Duncan Murdoch