[R] Inheritance and automatic function call on script exit

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Oct 6 17:59:46 CEST 2010

1) It would be better if you understood R "scripts" as functions. R,
possibly using either the proto or oo package, has at least 4
"inheritance" schemas that I know of. None will do what you want,
asaik.

2. ?on.exit will tell you what you did wrong below.

3. If I understand your query correctly, I don't think there's any way
do exactly what you want, but ?addTaskCallback may be relevant.

-- Bert

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ralf B <ralf.bierig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here the modified script with what I learned from  Joshua:
>
> #
> # superscript
> #
>
> output <- NULL
>
> writeOutput <- function() {
>        processTime <- proc.time()
>        outputFilename <- paste("C:/myOutput_", processTime[3], ".csv", sep="")
>        write.csv(output, file = outputFilename)
> }
> on.exit(writeOutput, add=T)
>

> #
> # subscript
> #
>
> source("C:/superscript.R")
> output <- data.frame(a=c(1,2,3), b=c(4,5,6))
>
> For some reason, the file is not created. So it seems not to do the
> call. What do I do wrong?
>
> Ralf

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics