[R] Forecasting with R/Need Help. Steps shown below with the imaginary data

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 7 22:55:44 CEST 2010

Ruchi -
    If the only way you can figure out to read your data
into R is through SAS, I think you need to spend more time
with the R introductory documentation, for example

   http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html

While data is usually read from a file, you can imitate
SAS' datalines command using the textConnection function:

> dat = read.table(textConnection('2008 12 13 12 14 13 12 11 15 10 12 12 12
+ 2009 12 13 12 14 13 12 11 15 10 12 12 12
+ '))

Now convert the data into a time series.  We can ignore the first
column of dat, and use the transpose because R stores its data by
columns:

> myts = ts(as.vector(t(dat[,-1])),start=c(2008,1),frequency=12)

Now, we can load the forecast package, which contains auto.arima:

> library(forecast)

>From here, things should work as you expect:

> fit = auto.arima(myts)
> fcast = forecast(fit)