[R] Deleting observations - can't see the data after that

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 23:45:48 CEST 2010

Hi Bill,

Several things come to mind.  First, try naming your data frame
something besides a function name (data() is also a function).
Second, have you attached the data frame?

Using: data = data[-3, ] worked fine for me when I made up some data.
Perhaps you can create a minimal and reproducible example?

You might also send us the results of:

sessionInfo()
ls()
search()

Cheers,

Josh

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am loading a data frame, fitting a model, getting diagnostic plots and they are flagging a couple of observations as problematic.  Fair enough, and I want re-fit without them.
>
> After I delete an offending row (identified by one of the diagnostic plots), something like
>
>    data = data[-3,];
>
> then R will no longer print the contents of the data frame; it tells me it is a data frame with specific (correct) number of rows and columns, but won't show me what remains in the frame like it does before the deletion.  Is there a way to get around that, either using a different deletion technique or another function?  print(data) and show(data) are not helping.
>
> Ultimately,  I am trying to go through a couple of iterations of find pathologic points, delete and re-fit.  In this case I could guess at what is wrong and probably be correct, but I want to follow the clues as a learning exercise.  Once that is complete, I plan to plot everything with the deleted points emphasized.
>
> Bill

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles