[R] function using values separated by a comma

burgundy sauburn at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 07:19:46 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have a dataframe (tab separated file) which looks like the example below -
two values separated by a comma, and tab separation between each of these.

     [,1]  [,2]  [,3]  [ ,4]
[1,] 0,1  1,3   40,10  0,0
[2,] 20,5  4,2  10,40  10,0
[3,] 0,11  1,2  120,10  0,0

I would like to calculate the percentage of the smallest number separated by
the comma by:
1) summing the values e.g. for [1,3] where 40,10, 40+10 = 50
2) taking the first value and dividing it by the total e.g. for [1,3], 40/50
= 0.8
3) where the value generated by 2) is >0.5, print 1-value, otherwise, leave
value e.g. for [1,3], where value is 0.8, print 1-0.8 = 0.2

plan to generate file like:

[1,] 1   0.25  0.2  0
[2,] 0.2  0.33  0.2  1
[3,] 1  0.33  0.08  0

Apologies, I know this is very complex. Any help, even just some pointers on
how to write a general function where values are separated by a comma, is
realy very much appreciated!

Thank you