[R] saving object function

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 04:17:04 CEST 2010

Hi Joe,

There is an important distinction between working with data and
presenting data.  You do not want to change or get rid of the missing
values in the actual data.  Believe it or not, this buys you something
important.  Since appearance only matters for presentation, you can
fudge what the data is, and it is fine if it is character data _for
printing_.  Here is one possibility where I define a custom printing
function (uninventively, myprinter() ):

# Some data
dat <- matrix(c(1:8, NA), ncol = 3)

# Define a function that removes row and column names, changes NA values to ""
# and prints the matrix without quotes
myprinter <- function(x) {
  dat <- x
  dimnames(dat) <- list(rep("", nrow(x)), rep("", ncol(x)))
  dat[is.na(dat)] <- ""
  noquote(format(dat, justify="right"))
}

myprinter(dat)

Ultimately your original data is unchanged, but you get some nice output.

HTH,

Josh