[R] R: rulefit error on Linux

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Oct 10 15:42:24 CEST 2010

On 07.10.2010 10:55, noclue_ wrote:

> R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22) on Linux 64-bit
>
> I am trying to run 'rulefit' function (Rule based Learning Ensembles). but I
> got the following error -
>
>> rulefit(x,y)
> Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root
> user.
> The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
> in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
> program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
> xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
> Error in file(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In file(file, "r") :
>    cannot open file '/root/_rulefit/rfstatus': No such file or directory
>
> On windows R 2.10, I got this run successfully. So I am wondering whether it
> is due to my R older version on Linux.

Well, may be, both R versions are old and the release candidate for
R-2.12.0 is out, hence please use that one for now and witch to the
release version next week.

For your original question: Looks like you had some terminal without X
forwarding, i.e. R was not able to open an x11 window in ordert to
present a plot.

Uwe Ligges