[R] dot plot by group

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 22:43:35 CEST 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 3:55 PM, casperyc wrote:

> And now I just wonder why the ' bty='n' ' won't work?

Left open is the answer to the question ... "work"  ...  how?

Because dotplot is a lattice function?
    ... and bty is a base graphic parameter?

You could try to give par.settings a list that consisted of bty='n'.
(Failed,  and since it fails you should look at the axis parameters of
the lattice.options section in the help page.)

You probably need to print out the lattice settings and then work
toward reconfiguring them for you plot with trellis.par.set:

print(trellis.par.get())

This does "work" (and suggests I misread the intent of Sarkar in his
help page, but it remains unclear how you _wanted_ it to "work".

dotplot(variety ~ yield | year * site, data=barley,
trellis.par.set(bty='n' ) )