[R] Boxplot has only one whisker

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 15:24:48 CEST 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 5:06 AM, Ivan Calandra wrote:

> Well, you don't use the same data for both.
> Type 2 and 7 give different values for the 25 and 75%, which
> correspond more or less to the box hinges.
> If you take a look at how the whiskers are defined (look at ?
> boxplot.stats):
> "|coef| this determines how far the plot ‘whiskers’ extend out from
> the box. If |coef| is positive, the whiskers extend to the most
> extreme data point which is no more than |coef| times the length of
> the box away from the box."
> In your example, the box for "method1" is short; the 100% point is
> then further that 1.5*length of the box (IQR), which is then
> considered as outlier. Note that the default for coef is 1.5 (hence
> the 1.5*IQR). On the other hand, for method 2, the box is longer;
> the largest point is therefore within 1.5*IQR and plotted with the
> upper whisker.
> Understand what I mean?
> See that post too, they might have better explanations:
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp10/2010-May/238597.html
>
> But don't forget my second comment: you boxplot() summary data. From
> my understanding, you should not do that. Boxplot() returns the
> statistics itself (look at the value section from ?boxplot). Try:
> bx <- boxplot(d,ylab = "Beispiel 1",range = 1.5)
> bx$stats
> [,1] [,2]
> [1,] 2.7000 2.700
> [2,] 3.0000 2.900
> [3,] 3.3000 3.300
> [4,] 4.8625 6.225
> [5,] 4.8625 8.950
>
> You can see that boxplot() recomputed the summary stats from the
> summary stats you gave as input, and plotted them!
> You should provide raw data to boxplot(), not summary stats.

Agreed,  boxplot is doing the summarization, but it then hands the
summaries on to bxp() to do the plotting. So if the OP wants to add
back in a whisker or a dot or to use summaries from another source,
then he should first look at the Value section of the boxplot help
page for the correct list structure, and then send that list to bxp().
The bxp help page also is where one would look to tweak various
plotting parameters, since those are better explained there.

--
David.