[R] spatial partition

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:43:42 CEST 2010

Some quick ideas...

One very easy way would be to round them all to integer degrees and
remove the duplicates - or even just let the duplicates overwrite each
other in the plot.

A step up from that would be to create a matrix at some resolution
(e.g. 180 x 360 for a 1 degree global grid) and count the number of
points that fall into each matrix cell. Then plot those points with
symbol color or size to represent frequency categories.

If you want to get fancy and look for "natural" spatial clusters of
points in your data there are a number of packages that can help you:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

Hope this helps.
Michael