[R] [OT] (slightly) - OpenOffice Calc and text files

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 19:22:02 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com>
Date: 14 October 2010 18:20
Subject: Re: [R] [OT] (slightly) - OpenOffice Calc and text files
To: "Schwab,Wilhelm K" <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu>

Just a basic comment on Open Office Calc.  I find Open Office Calc and
excellent program for viewing and minor processing of data - much
better than Excel. In particular it is a very flexible tool for
transferring data between different packages.  However one must take a
certain amount of care in its use.

If you import a csv or text file into open office it is reformatted by
 Calc.  If you save this as csv or text or similar then the default is
to save exactly as displayed.  If I wish to retain more significant
data or dates in a particular format use the various format facilities
in Calc to ensure that what you require is displayed in Calc before
you save as csv or similar.  There is also a useful facility to edit
the output facilities before saving.  Calc or Excel or Write or Word
do add formatting that any plain text editor (Scite Notepad++ Emacs
etc.) do not.

Best Regards

John

John C Frain