[R] A subject related question

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun Oct 17 05:44:54 CEST 2010

Multivariate normal distributions with PSD variance matrices occur all the time.

The most common example in practice would probably be the distribution of the vector of residuals from a normal regression.  It has a degenerate distribution wrt R^n because it is subject to p linear restrictions.

Another common one is the variance matrix of the multinomial distribution, which is singular since the frequencies are subject to a sum constraint \sum f = n.  This is not a multivariate normal distribution, but becomes arbitrarily close to one as the number of trials increases by the multivariate central limit theorem.

Bill Venables.