[R] R 2.12.0 - malware detect by antivirus software

Paulo Barata pbarata at infolink.com.br
Sun Oct 17 20:18:43 CEST 2010

Dear R-list members,

I have just downloaded R 2.12.0 for Windows. When installing,
my antivirus software detected some malware during the
installation process.

I use Windows XP SP3. My antivirus software is Avira Premium
Security Suite, product version 10.0.0.542 (19/4/2010),
search engine 8.02.04.82 (14/10/2010), virus definition file
7.10.12.231 (17/10/2010). That software said: "Malware found".
When I clicked in "details", I found this information: object:
open.exe; Detection: TR/ATRAPS.Gen. Consulting the Avira web
site, this is indicated as a Trojan, dated 15 May 2008.

I have repeated the installation process twice, always with
the same malware detection. When installing, I used the English
language, I ticked the "Technical Manuals", "PDF help pages"
and "docs for Packages grid and Matrix", and I used the
default options.

Should I proceed with the installation of that version of R?

Thank you very much.

Paulo Barata

Paulo Barata
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation
Rua Leopoldo Bulhoes 1480 - 8A
21041-210  Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Brazil

E-mail: pbarata at infolink.com.br