[R] nonparaeff package, fdh() function

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Mon Oct 18 04:17:51 CEST 2010

The nonparaeff package's function fdh(), when used with an
output-orientation, produces an efficiency score that puzzles me.  I am
using nonparaeff in R version 2.8.1 running under Linux. In this
context, I ran the following code:
library(nonparaeff)
input= c(6, 10, 16, 14, 15)
output=c(8, 20, 26,  4, 24)
tab.dat = data.frame(y=output, x=input)
fdhoo = fdh(tab.dat,  noutput=1, orientation=2)
fdhoo

That code produced the following output:
   eff
1   1
2   1
3   1
4   1
5   1

The efficiency score for DMU 4 surprises me.  This DMU, using input
quantity 14, should be able to produce at least as much as DMU 2, which
uses input level 10.  Yet DMU 4 produces 4 output units, compared to 20
for DMU 2.  I would expect DMU 4 to be able to raise output by a factor
of 5.  If so, the reported eff is puzzling.

Can anyone tell me how to get nonparaeff to produce correct efficiency
scores in output orientation?   I'll be very grateful for your suggestions.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett