[R] rgdal package (Matteo Toro)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Oct 18 14:37:42 CEST 2010

For clarification, the OP downloaded files published before rgdal was
available on CRAN from the deprecated sourceforge site. The OPs references
to the other early development packages (from roughly 5 years ago) are also
from sourceforge. The rgdal and r-spatial projects on sourceforge explicitly
refer any potential downloaders to CRAN. Of course, CVS users can access
r-spatial project modules on sourceforge, but the package tarballs remain
for archive purposes only. Indeed, rgdal is now hosted on R-Forge, not
sourceforge.

Even if the OP came through the link to rgdal on sourceforge on the gdal.org
site, this states clearly that: "The R contributed package rgdal is
available from CRAN as a source package for installation on platforms with
the full build train and external dependencies. The external dependencies
are GDAL and its dependencies. These may also be provided in binary form for
some platforms, but to install the source rgdal  package, the headers and
development libraries will be required. ... This site is only used for
development, not for releasing software".

Roger

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> The current version of rgdal on CRAN is 0.6-28, not 0.3-5!  The latter
> was never in CRAN, but 0.3-7 dates from 2006.
>
> Is your R version (unstated, see the posting guide) also from 2006?
>
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, ciccpaol at libero.it wrote:
>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install the "rgdal" package in R, but it seems not
>>> possible...
>>>
>>> i'm typing

>>> Warning in install.packages("rgdal") :
>>>  argument 'lib' is missing: using
>>> '/home/toro/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.
>>> 9'
>>> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
>>> Warning message:
>>> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>>>  package ‘rgdal’ is not available
>>>
>>> I also tried to download the package from http://sourceforge.
>>> net/projects/rgdal/files/  , and tried
>>>
>>> $ R CMD INSTALL /home/toro/Downloads/rgdal_0.3-5.tar.gz
>>> * Installing to library ‘/home/toro/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9’
>>> * Installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>>> ** libs
>>> g++ -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/include/gdal -g -DRGDALDEBUG     -fpic
>>> -g
>> -
>>> O2 -c gdal-bindings.cpp -o gdal-bindings.o
>>> gdal-bindings.cpp: In function ‘char* asString(SEXPREC*, int)’:
>>> gdal-bindings.cpp:28: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to
>>> ‘char*’
>>> make: *** [gdal-bindings.o] Error 1
>>> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘rgdal’
>>> * Removing ‘/home/toro/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9/rgdal’
>>>
>>> and this happens also for other versions of gdal  I have downloaded.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem is that also other packages like spgrass6, spGDAL
>>> and
>>> spmaptools are dependent from gdal....so i cannot go on....
>>>
>>> Can I ask you to help me , please??
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Matteo

> --

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway