[R] Clustering with ordinal data

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Oct 19 20:14:04 CEST 2010

Hello

I've been asked to help evaluate a vegetation data set, specifically to
examine it for community similarity. The initial problem I see is that the
data is ordinal.   At best this only captures a relative ranking of
abundance and ordinal ranks are assigned after data collection.    I've
been trying to find a procedure in R that can handle ordinal based
classification and so far have not found one.

Does one exist ?  If there is one, which package supports this type of
analysis and  what is the function ?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282