[R] Clustering with ordinal data

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 03:03:49 CEST 2010

Hello Steve,

> I've been asked to help evaluate a vegetation data set, specifically to
> examine it for community similarity. The initial problem I see is that the
> data is ordinal.   At best this only captures a relative ranking of
> abundance and ordinal ranks are assigned after data collection.

Just about every vegetation survey ever conducted uses either presence
absence or ordinal data collection (e.g. Braun-Blanquet scores or
importance scores from nested quadrats).

A large number of distance metrics are in the literature to deal with
such data. As well as Phil's suggestion you should definitely look at
the vegan package which contains a good selection of these metrics
plus numerous functions frequently used in classification and
ordination of veg data.

Michael