[R] lme with log-normal distribution of parameters

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 21:28:59 CEST 2010

Hoai Thu Thai <hoai-thu.thai <at> inserm.fr> writes:

> Dear R-users,
>
> Do you know if we can use the function lme in R for log-normal
> distribution of parameters as used in Nonmem ?
> theta=theta0*exp(eta)
>
> In our model, the parameters follow the log-normal distribution so it's
> not reasonable to deal with normal distribution which gives us negative
> values in simulation

  No.
  There are various tools (AD Model Builder, WinBUGS, JAGS) which have
interfaces to R which could be used, but neither of the main R packages
(nlme or lme4) will handle non-normal random effect distributions
(it's possible that some of Jim Lindsey's packages at
<popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/rcode.html> will handle this case;
I don't remember).

   You might want to try this question on r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org

  Ben Bolker