[R] histograms resulting from call to soil.texture

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Oct 21 11:12:52 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 10:03 AM, emorway wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using the dataset below I produce a soil.texture plot (R code for this
> included at the end).  One will notice I have plotted the points based on
> whether or not they are in a region called 'upstream' or 'downstream'.  I'm
> curious if there is a way to somehow extract counts of the number of points
> (red points and blue points) falling within each classification (e.g. silty
> loam, sandy clay, etc.)?

Hi emorway,
It is possible, but you would have to look at the code for soil.texture
and get the values from the internal function triax.segments. Then you
could test the values to see into which of these little polygons they
fell. A rather laborious task. Perhaps someone who does a lot of soil
analysis has already done this.

Jim