[R] Big data (over 2GB) and lmer

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 21 16:02:31 CEST 2010

Dear R-helpers

I have a data set of roughly 10 million records, 7 columns. It has only
about 500MB as a csv, so it fits in the memory. It's painfully slow to
do anything with it, but it's possible. I also have another dataset of
covariates that I would like to explore - with about 4GB of data...

I would like to merge the two datasets and use lmer to build a mixed
effects model. Is there a way, for example using 'bigmemory' or 'ff', or
any other trick, to enable lmer to work on this data set?

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions.

--
Michal J. Figurski, PhD
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine