[R] R-2.12.0 hangs while loading RGtk2 on FreeBSD

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Thu Oct 21 16:48:54 CEST 2010

Am 21.10.2010 16:12 (UTC+1) schrieb Prof Brian Ripley:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Rainer Hurling wrote:
>
>> I am working with R-2.12.0 on FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT for a while now. I
>> successfully installed more than 300 packages (most as dependencies of
>> others).
>>
>> There are two packages I am not able to install: RGtk2 and rggobi.
>>
>> For example rggobi builds fine and after that it wants to load:

>> # R CMD INSTALL rggobi_2.1.16.tar.gz
>> [..SNIP..]
>> gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o rggobi.so RSEval.o brush.o
>> colorSchemes.o conversion.o data.o dataset.o display.o displays.o
>> edges.o ggobi.o identify.o init.o io.o keyHandlers.o longitudinal.o
>> modes.o plot.o plots.o plugins.o print.o session.o smooth.o ui.o
>> utils.o -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lggobi -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lxml2
>> -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXext
>> -lXrender -lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage
>> -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lXfixes -lcairo -lX11 -lpango-1.0 -lm
>> -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0
>> -lglib-2.0
>> installiert nach /usr/local/lib/R/library/rggobi/libs
>> ** R
>> ** data
>> ** moving datasets to lazyload DB
>> ** demo
>> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>>
>> At this point the install process is hanging, R utilises no more CPU
>> time. Same with package RGtk2.
>>
>> Is this a known error? Please let me know if I can give more
>> information or try something different.
>
> Well, those are exactly the two packages using Gtk+.
>
> There is no known general problem, and as you could have checked from
> the CRAN check pages, those packages install without problems on several
> platforms. (Not Solaris, where ggobi does not install and RGtk2 requires
> gcc, and not x64 Windows where both need to be patched.)
>
> So it does look very like there is a problem with loading against the
> Gtk+ system libraries on your system.

I think you are right. With previous versions of R (until R-2.10.x) I
did not have this hanging when loading RGtk2 ... And I am pretty sure
that I have no problems with gtk2 outside of R on my FreeBSD system.

In the meantime I found out that the reported loading error of rggobi is
a loading error of RGtk2, which fails (hangs). So there remains only a

After building/installing RGtk2, there are the following messages:

[..SNIP..]
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o RGtk2.so RGtkDataFrame.o
Rgtk.o atkAccessors.o atkClasses.o atkConversion.o atkFuncs.o
atkManuals.o atkUserFuncs.o cairo-enums.o cairoAccessors.o
cairoConversion.o cairoFuncs.o cairoManuals.o cairoUserFuncs.o classes.o
conversion.o eventLoop.o gdkAccessors.o gdkClasses.o gdkConversion.o
gdkFuncs.o gdkManuals.o gdkUserFuncs.o glib.o gobject.o gtkAccessors.o
gtkClasses.o gtkConversion.o gtkFuncs.o gtkManuals.o gtkUserFuncs.o
libgladeAccessors.o libgladeFuncs.o libgladeManuals.o
libgladeUserFuncs.o pangoAccessors.o pangoClasses.o pangoConversion.o
pangoFuncs.o pangoManuals.o pangoUserFuncs.o utils.o zcompat.o -pthread
-L/usr/local/lib -lglade-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lxml2 -lgdk-x11-2.0
-latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXext -lXrender -lXinerama
-lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgio-2.0
-lXfixes -lcairo -lX11 -lpango-1.0 -lm -lfreetype -lfontconfig
-lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -pthread
-L/usr/local/lib -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0
installiert nach /usr/local/lib/R/library/RGtk2/libs
** R
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded  [..hanging from here..]