[R] Help: From Excel date to R-date!

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:44:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Amy Young-King
<amy.young.king at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am really new to dealing with Excel date and time formats to be used in R.
>
> I have an Excel exported data matrix in TXT format.
>
> One column, labeled DATE, is of the following format examples:
>

> 1/8/98 1:00
> 1/8/98 23:00
>

> to mean that the observation was made on 1st of August 1998 at 1AM and
> another
> observation made at 11PM. This is a time series example.
>
> How do I read in this column in R and convert it most appropriately in a
> format that
> R can handle and be utilized in fitting a time series model to the data?
>
> Thank you for your answers!

For reading Excel files see this page:

   http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows

and also read the Other Applications section of the date and time
article in R News 4/1.

Regarding your other questions google for:   Time Series CRAN Task View

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com