[R] importing csv gets me all 16,000 columns with "NA"

mkinseth mkinseth at projects.sdsu.edu
Fri Oct 22 01:23:03 CEST 2010

I'm new to R. I have a mac (OS10.6). I have converted an Excel file to a csv
to import into R. I have used many methods to import the file, most do not
work, the best so far is:

filename <- read.csv(/Users/Desktop/csvfile.csv", header=T, sep=","). I have
also tried taking out the header and sep lines and it still imports fine.

Regardless of what I do, it always brings in the data but also includes all
16,000+ columns from Excel with X.1 as the first column up to X.16345 (for
instance). Of course the files are filled with "NA" since no data is
present.

How do I get around this?

So far I have included strip.white=T and fill=T, something I've seen in
other csv import posts but this does not work.

Thanks!