[R] Ordination plot option missing from PCA dialog

William C. Nelson, PhD wcnelson at usc.edu
Fri Oct 22 18:59:36 CEST 2010

   My apologies for the too-brief description of my problem. Let me start
   again.
   As I said before, I have R-2.11.1 installed on SLES 10.1. I have installed
   on top of that Rcmdr v 1.6.0 and many associated packages (the default
   suggestions during Rcmdr installation).  Upon starting Rcmdr, I get the
   following in the parent R terminal:
   > library(Rcmdr)
   I also get a dialog box saying that rgl is missing and some functions may
   not  be available (hrm...). If I request that rgl be installed, rgl is
   downloaded, appears to compile with no errors, but at the end I see:
   ** testing if installed package can be loaded
   Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rgl', details:
     call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
     error: unable to load shared library
   '/data/packages/R-2.11.1/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so':
     libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
   ERROR: loading failed
   * removing ‘/data/packages/R-2.11.1/library/rgl’
   I would like to be able to create an ordination plot for a PCA. I found a
   tutorial ([1]R with Rcmdr BASIC INSTRUCTIONS); it seemed like a good place
   to  start.  Following  along  its  section  on  PCA,  I  navigated  to
   Statistics:Dimensional Analysis:Principal-components analysis, which brings
   up a dialog box. In the tutorial there is an image of the dialog box, and it
   shows an option to create an ordination plot, however in the dialog box that
   comes up on my installation, the Ordination Plot option is missing.
   Is my problem with rgl related to the missing option? Any other suggestions
   as to why the option is missing?
   Any ideas as to why rgl won't load?
   thanks,
   Bill
William C. Nelson, PhD
Research Asst Professor
University of Southern California,
College of Letters, Arts and Sciences,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Marine Environmental Biology Division,
Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies
310-510-4097
[2]wcnelson at usc.edu