[R] How long does skipping in read.table take

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 15:32:26 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Dimitri Liakhovitski
<dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is very helpful, Gabor.
> I've run the code to figure out the end of the line and here is what I
> am seeing at the end of each line: \r\n
> So, I specified like this:
> mydata<-read.csv.sql("myfile.txt", sep="|", eol="\r\n", sql = "select
> * from file limit 200, 100")
>
> However, again it's hanging again. Another typo?

I wonder if its just taking longer than you think.  It does read the
entire file into sqlite even if you only read a portion from sqlite to
R so if the file is very long it will still take some time.  Try
creating a small file of a few hundred lines from your file and
experiment on that until you get it working.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com