[R] convert wind direction from degrees to basic compass directions

will phillips will.phillips at q.com
Sat Oct 23 23:15:37 CEST 2010

Hello Josh,

Thank you for the tip on the cut function.  I'm new to R and have not come
across this one yet. I'll give it a go.

Regarding the rationale for segmenting the wind direction, I have not come
across any theory to drive this.  My motivation is model fit.  This wind
direction variable really isn't contributing anything to the model as a
continuous variable but before casting it aside, I thought transforming it
into a categorical variable might show something useful. The 8 basic map
directions seem natural

In this same data set I had a variable "days since start" and it was
continuous and not significant but when factored in as day of the week, I'm
seeing significance on every day.

Will