[R] problem with "make distribution"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 12:10:02 CEST 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> I'm trying to experiment with the "make distribution"  with R-2.12.0
> when compiling from source on Windows.  It works fine on Windows XP,
> but I'm having a snag with Windows 7.
>
> Here is the snag:
>
> cp -prf "../../../Tcl" R-2.12.0
> cp: preserving permissions for `R-2.12.0/Tcl/bin': Invalid argument
> cp: preserving permissions for `R-2.12.0/Tcl/doc': Invalid argument
>
> and so on.
>
> Has anyone run into this, please?

Yes.  This is an issue with how you unpacked the Tcl directory.
Without knowing how you did that, you will need either to

- Use Windows Explorer to correct the ownership/permissions of Tcl and
those subdirectories -- sometimes simply renaming it and making a copy
called 'Tcl' is the easiest way forward.
- Remove it and unpack it some other way, e.g. via the zip file
available at http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/

Cygwin and Windows 7/Vista do sometimes fight over permissions (and
this is using cp from Cygwin): I've seen this more often with the
Cygwin update in the current Rtools212 than in earlier versions.