[R] difftime error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 13:14:43 CEST 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, dpender wrote:

> R community,
>
> I am trying to create an array of the time differences between datapoints
> for a very large set.  For some reason for 4 of the values the difference
> has been calculated as NA.
>
> Looking at the individual points two of them are "1981-03-29 01:40:00" and
> "1981-03-29 02:00:00"

Do such times exist in your unstated timezone?  The first definitely
does not in the UK timezone (hint DST started at 1am on that day).

What precisely happens when you specify invalid date-times is
system-dependent, and you have not stated yours (pace the posting
guide).  But I am surprised you got NA.