[R] Q reg connecting to existing dll

Gandhi, Puneet - RSCH AMRS p.gandhi at baml.com
Mon Oct 25 16:21:55 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am an R newbie and trying to migrate from VB to R.

I downloaded data from Haver using an existing dll in VB.
For e.g. I declared functions such as

Private Declare Function DLXOpenDatabase Lib "DLXAPI32" (ByVal DBName$)
As Long

And then used them as
k = DLXOpenDatabase("W:/DLX/USECON")
MsgBox (k)

Gives me '0' showing connection established

Now I am rying to migrate this code to R and was wondering what is the
easiest way to call an external dll in R.

During my research I found this link
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/compilingDLLs/existingD
LL.html

But it seems to be old with expired links to further help pages.

Can any one guide me on how best to connect to external dll's from R and
if there is any easier way than writing a wrapper dll ?

Thanks
Puneet