[R] CRAN vs R-Forge

Mon Oct 25 19:42:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Jason Kwok <jaykwok at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the difference between the packages you get from CRAN and R-Forge?
> Are the packages you get from CRAN fully developed and R-Forge
> work-in-progress?

You pretty much got it right.

R-forge provides "an ecosystem" to help develop your packages:
(i) a source control management system
(ii) bug tracking
(iii) forums/mailing lists
(iv) etc.

Developers might choose to put release candidate/beta/other versions
of their libraries there to facilitate testing, etc.

As you suspected, CRAN is simply a place to put the *release* versions
of packages.

Once a milestone in development has been reached for a project on
r-forge, I guess the devs using r-forge could then choose to send a
specific version over to CRAN.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou