[R] overall p-value for LASSO model resulting from glmnet

HolgerK hkirsten at medizin.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Oct 26 15:27:34 CEST 2010

Dear experts,

I am using the LASSO method (a shrinkage and selection method for linear
regression) to create regression models. I am using the package "glmnet"
My aim is to calculate an overall p-value for a certain regression model
with a certain lambda.
I would like to do this with a likelihood ratio test. Therefore, I need the
likelihood of the model.

Unfortunately, for the function "glmnet" I can find only in the documentary
the output "dev" which is explained as "The fraction of (null) deviance
explained (for "elnet", this is the R-square). The deviance calculations
incorporate weights if present in the model. The deviance is defined to be
-2*(loglike_sat - loglike), where loglike_sat is the loglikelihood for the
saturated model (a model with a free parameter per observation)".
Actually, is there a way to get directly the likelihood of a certain model?

Thank you so much

Holger