[R] installing ONLY the documentation files (Rd) for many packages?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 08:32:32 CEST 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> I have been searching the documentation for some time nmow, but
> cannot find it. It must be possible to download packages (many), but
> only install the help system?

I am not sure what you actally want: R CMD INSTALL does not install
the Rd files -- it installs a database of parsed Rd files.

All things are possible in a programming language, but you would need
to study the R code of INSTALL to see what to extract.  One
possibility would be to run a loop of calls to  R CMD Rdconv to
install HTML versions of help (which some people have asked for in the
past).

However, disk space is cheap, and I would simply install the packages
and discard the parts you don't want.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk