[R] R and Matlab

Claudia Beleites cbeleites at units.it
Thu Oct 28 14:56:32 CEST 2010

> I am looking for ways to use R and Matlab. Doing the data transformations in
> R and using the data in Matlab to analyze with some pre-defined scripts.
> Any good ways to transfer the data into matlab in its most recent version?
> I tried using R.matlab but the writeMat output is not readable by Matlab.
It used to work, but I didn't need it for quite a while (a year or so ago, and
with Matlab either 2007 or 2008a).

I just tried, and neither does it work for me.
You should notify the maintainer of R.matlab and include an example (code and
data, e.g. with dput).

I noticed that library (R.matlab) does not load the Rcompression package, but
also after library (Rcompression), the resulting file was not read by Matlab.

I tried loading a saved data.frame in Matlab 2008b on an Win XP computer: it
doesn't find any variables inside the .mat file (and whos -file ...) doesn't
show a variable.

The other way round with a stupid little vector it worked.

An R session (with only the 2nd try, after library (Rcompression)) is attached
below.

> I just need to output a data.frame and read it as is into matlab where I can
> do any needed transformations on the variables.
If you need to transfer the data right NOW, there's always csv.

Claudia

********************

 > library (hyperSpec)
Package hyperSpec, version 0.95

To get started, try
    vignette ("introduction", package = "hyperSpec")
    package?hyperSpec
    vignette (package = "hyperSpec")

If you use this package please cite it appropriately.
    citation("hyperSpec")
will give you the correct reference.

The project is hosted on http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/hyperspec/

 > sessionInfo ()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C              LC_TIME=en_US.utf8
  [4] LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8     LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8       LC_NAME=C                 LC_ADDRESS=C
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C            LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] hyperSpec_0.95    lattice_0.19-13   R.matlab_1.3.3    R.oo_1.7.4
R.methodsS3_1.2.1

[1] grid_2.12.0
 > library (Rcompression)
 > x = flu[[]]
 > writeMat ("flu.mat", flu)
Error in dim(x) <- length(x) : invalid first argument
 > writeMat ("flu.mat", x)
 > sessionInfo ()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C              LC_TIME=en_US.utf8
  [4] LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8     LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8       LC_NAME=C                 LC_ADDRESS=C
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C            LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Rcompression_0.8-0 hyperSpec_0.95     lattice_0.19-13    R.matlab_1.3.3
R.oo_1.7.4
[6] R.methodsS3_1.2.1

[1] grid_2.12.0

--
Claudia Beleites
Dipartimento dei Materiali e delle Risorse Naturali

phone: +39 0 40 5 58-37 68
email: cbeleites at units.it