[R] runtime on ising model

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 28 19:31:42 CEST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 12:20 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Michael D wrote:
>
>> Mike, I'm not sure what you mean about removing foo but I think the
>> method
>> is sound in diagnosing a program issue and the results speak for
>> themselves.
>>
>> I did invert my if statement at the suggestion of a CS professor
>> (who also
>> suggested recoding in C, but I'm in an applied math program and
>> haven't had
>> the time to take programming courses, which i know would be helpful)
>>
>> Anyway, with the statement as:
>>
>> if( !(k %in% c(10^4,10^5,10^6,10^7)) ){
>> #do nothing
>> } else {
>> q <- q+1
>> Out[[q]] <- M
>> }
>>
>> run times were back to around 20 minutes.
>
> Have you tried replacing all of those 10^x operations with their
> integer equivalents, c(10000L, 100000L, 1000000L)? Each time through
> the loop you are unnecessarily calling the "^" function 4 times. You
> could also omit the last one. 10^7,  during testing since M at the
> last iteration (k=10^7) would be the final value and you could just
> assign the state of M at the end. So we have eliminated 4*10^7
> unnecessary "^" calls and 10^7 unnecessary comparisons. (The CS
> professor is perhaps used to having the C compiler do all thinking
> of this sort for him.)

Bill Dunlap's suggestion to use "==" instead of %in% cut the time to
1/3 of what it had been even after the pre-calculation of the integer
values( which only improved the looping times by 30%). The combination
of the two with:
  if (k ==10000L|k==100000L|k==1000000L ) { ... }

... resulted in an improvement by a factor or 12.006/2.523 or 475% for
the interim checking and printing operation using Bill's test suite.