[R] vertical list sum

Gregory Ryslik rsaber at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 00:46:40 CEST 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have a list of vectors like this (in this case it's 3 vectors but assume the vector count and the length of each vector is not known):

[[1]]
[1]  9  5  7  2 14  4  4  3

[[2]]
[1]  3  6 25  2 14  3  3  4

[[3]]
[1] 28  4 14  3 14  2  4  5

What I want to do is take the average vertically. Thus I want to do 9+3+28 /3, 5+6+4 /3, etc... and then have it return a vector. I'm assuming that if I can sum it, I can count it to so summing this would be just as helpful.

I understand I can first go through each element of the list, get a vector, cbind into  matrix and sum across but I was hoping to avoid that... I tried getting it to work with mapply but am having difficulties...

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Greg