[R] Rd-file error: non-ASCII input and no declared encoding

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 16:09:14 CEST 2010

Dear list,

I came across the following error for three of my newly written Rd-files:
non-ASCII input and no declared encoding

I can't make sense of this.

Below I copied in one of the three files.
Can anybody please tell me what's wrong with it?

Thank you,
Christian

\name{tetragonula}
\alias{tetragonula}
\alias{tetragonula.coord}
\docType{data}
% \non_function{}
\title{Microsatellite genetic data of Tetragonula bees}
\description{
   Genetic data for 236 Tetragonula (Apidae) bees from Australia
   and Southeast Asia, see  Franck et al. (2004). The data give pairs of
   alleles (codominant markers) for 13 microsatellite loci.
}
\usage{data(tetragonula)}
\format{
   Two objects are generated:
   \describe{
     \item{tetragonula}{A data frame with 236 observations and 13 string
     variables. Strings consist of six digits each. The
     format is derived from the data format used by the software GENEPOP
     (Rousset 2010). Alleles have a three digit code, so a value of
     \code{"258260"} on variable V10 means that on locus 10 the two alleles
     have codes 258 and 260. \code{"000"} refers to missing values.}
     \item{tetragonula.coord}{a 236*2 matrix. Coordinates of locations of
     individuals in decimal format, i.e. the first number is latitude
     (negative values are South), with minutes and seconds
     converted to fractions. The second number is longitude (negative
     values are West).}
   }
}
\source{
   Franck, P., E. Cameron, G. Good, J.-Y. Rasplus, and B. P. Oldroyd
   (2004) Nest architecture and genetic differentiation in a species
   complex of Australian stingless bees. \emph{Mol. Ecol.} 13, 2317–2331.

   Rousset, F. (2010) Genepop 4.0 for Windows and Linux.
   \url{http://kimura.univ-montp2.fr/~rousset/Genepop.pdf}
}
\details{
    Reads from example data file \code{Heterotrigona_indoFO.txt}.
}

\examples{
data(tetragonula)
}
\keyword{datasets}

Christian Hennig
University College London, Department of Statistical Science
Gower St., London WC1E 6BT, phone +44 207 679 1698
chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk, www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucakche