[R] Using packages built in linux in windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 18:01:06 CEST 2010

On 01/09/2010 11:51 AM, rajesh j wrote:
> I thought building a binary took care of that issue. How do I port a linux
> library to windows?

Building a binary package links the package to the library, but if the
library doesn't exist, there's nothing to link to.

Porting a Linux library to Windows just means getting it to compile on
Windows.  It can be easy if the package is written to be portable, or
impossible if it depends on something in Linux that can't be simulated
on Windows; usually it is not easy but not impossible.  I'd recommend
looking for ports by other people rather than trying it yourself if you
haven't done it before.  Aim for ports using the same MinGW compiler
tools that R uses for the easiest route.

Duncan Murdoch