[R] Help on Select.list

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 15:30:00 CEST 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Ravi S. Shankar wrote:

> Hi David,
> Thank you for your response. But that wasn't what I was looking for.
> names=c("Ravi", "Raj","Shubha","Nivriti")
> select.list(names)  gives a pop up with the 4 names. I just wanted in
> the pop up a heading (say BOYS) followed by two names and another
> heading (say GIRLS) and the remaining two names.
>
> Is there a way I can include headings in the select.list()

Sorry. that function was not in my experience. You could include the
headings in the list perhaps with some message saying that the
headings are not a legitimate choice. I looked at the code for
select.list and doubt that you can enforce the advice with anything in
the select.list parameters. The vector gets handed off pretty quickly
to .Internal functions You would need to handle undesired user
behavior programatically:

names=c("Boys~(Do not choose)", "Ravi", "Raj","Girls~(Do not choose)",
"Shubha","Nivriti")
select.list(names)

If you wanted more control ove rthe behavior I think you would need to
work with : tk_select.list {tcltk}

--
David