[R] Function Gini or Ineq

Karen Kotschy karen at sevenc.co.za
Sun Sep 5 00:40:54 CEST 2010

Hi Marcio

You might like to look at some equivalents from the field of ecology, for
which there are existing functions. Have a look at the function
"diversity" in the package "vegan". This provides the Simpson diversity
index, which is the complement of the Gini coefficient (Gini = 1 -
Simpson). See attached paper by Stirling (2007).

I'm not sure what you want to do with your weightings, but you could have
a look at Rao's quadratic entropy index: this is a weighted diversity
index (in ecology usually weighted by the abundance of the species, which
are the objects for which diversity is measured). You can get this from
the function "divc" in the package "ade4". There are also some other
weighted diversity indices in the package "FD" (functional diversity).

HTH
Karen

On Fri 03Sep10, Mestat wrote:

> Hi listers,
> Does it necessary to install any package in order to use the GINI or INEQ
> functions.
> If I use the following command the R tells me that didn't find the GINI
> function.
>
> x<-c(541, 1463, 2445, 3438, 4437, 5401, 6392, 8304, 11904, 22261)
> G<-gini(x)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marcio
> --