[R] Greek symbols (again but more complicated)

John Helly hellyj at ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 5 17:29:56 CEST 2010

Hi.

I'm trying to get 'mu' to show up as a Greek symbol but, despite trying every example I could find, can't get it to work.  Any insights would be welcome.

This is what I'm using that works, but displays mu with the letter u.

plotTimeXMastPAR <- qplot(DT,MastPAR, data=A, xlab = "", ylab = quote(PAR (uE ~m^-2 ~s^-1)), geom="line") + opts(legend.position="none")

This is an attempt to get mu to look right but it does not work.  It doesn't fail but nothing inside the expression statement gets displayed.

plotTimeXMastPAR <- qplot(DT,MastPAR, data=A, xlab = "", ylab = c("PAR", expression(mu, quote(E ~m^-2 ~s^-1))), geom="line") + opts(legend.position="none")

Cheers.
John Helly, UCSD / San Diego Supercomputer Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography / +01 760 840 8660 mobile / stonesteps (Skype) / stonesteps7 (iChat) / /www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj