[R] Two images functions

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:23:35 CEST 2010

On 06/09/2010 8:14 AM, Alaios wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I would like to ask you what happens when two functions with the same name
> exist. I discovered this today when I wrote
> ?images (I was trying to understand how it works)
>
> ?images gave me the following output:
>
> Help on topic 'image' was found in the following packages:
> Image
>  (in package raster in library
> /home/apa/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.11)
> Display a Color Image
>  (in package graphics in library /usr/lib64/R/library)
>

> How can I be sure which function is called when I write Image(x,y,f) or Image(f)

R is case sensitive, so you need to write image, not Image.  The one
found will be the one that is earliest on the search list (which you can
see by running search()).

If you want to be sure to get a particular one regardless of the search
list, prefix the name with the package name, e.g. raster::image will
find the one in the raster package.

Duncan Murdoch