[R] boxplot knowing Q1, Q3, median, upper and lower whisker value

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 18:21:03 CEST 2010

Hi Dave,

You can look at the function ?bxp it might work for you.  Alternately,
create a meaningless boxplot object, and then just edit that data, in
which case I know it will work with bxp().

# Create a boxplot, the data does not matter
x <- boxplot(1:10)
x # view the data for the boxplot

x$stats <- c() # put the stats here, min Q1, median, Q3, max
# or hinges or whatever you like

x$n <- c() # the number of observations, though you do not need to change this

bxp(x) # plot boxplot with updated info

HTH,

Josh

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:46 AM, David A. <dasolexa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am using a external program that outputs Q1, Q3, median, upper and lower whisker values for various datasets simultaneously in a tab delimited format. After importing this text file into R, I would like to plot a boxplot using these given values and not the original series of data points, i.e. not using something like boxplot(mydata).
>
> Is there an easy way for doing this? If I am not wrong, boxplot() does not accept these values as parameters.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology