[R] Can Cairo do better?

r-help at byrman.demon.nl r-help at byrman.demon.nl
Tue Sep 7 12:15:40 CEST 2010

  |Hi R-users,

I have used the Cairo package to create graphics on a headless system
running R 2.9.2 without build-in support for cairo. The results are a
bit disappointing compared to using the GDD package, although the R
documentation recommends Cairo over GDD, because it has better
rendering, symbol support, and a more actively maintained back-end.
Judge for yourself (note that the sides of the rectangular box have
unequal widths):

http://amc-app1.amc.sara.nl/twikidata/pub/temp/index.html

I was wondering whether there are Cairo-users that get better results.
Maybe I did not configure things properly? Below are the statements I
used to produce the graphic (a build-in data set is used):

library(Cairo)

||Cairo(width=900, height=600, file="cairo.png", bg="white", type="png")

||plot(faithful$eruptions, faithful$waiting, col="red", main="Created on
the grid via Cairo", pch=4)

||abline(lm(faithful$waiting~faithful$eruptions))

||dev.off()|

Thanks in advance,

CBy