[R] Saving fits (glm, nls) without data

Johann Hibschman jhibschman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 17:02:30 CEST 2010

Is there any package that assists in saving and reconstituting glm and
nls fits without bringing along the accompanying data?  A quick search
on CRAN didn't turn up anything.

If not, how do other people deal with saving the coefficients of model
fits?

For example, I've run a glm fit that has 23 coefficents on data set that
had 193,008 rows, by the time the fit was called.  When I save the
resulting fit object, I get a 491 MB object, which suggests that it's
pulling along all sorts of junk in the environment, as 23*193k*8 is only
34 MB.  Even so, I would prefer to only save the coefficients and the
Hessian, not the fit data set.

Is there anything I can do?  If I want to save several fits, 490 MB a
shot starts to add up very quickly.  If I just save the coefficients, I
have to manually hack up an object that I can then run 'predict' on when
I want to evaluate the model, and that feels very error-prone.

Thanks,
Johann