[R] Saving/loading custom R scripts

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Sep 8 17:47:35 CEST 2010

.. Not quite.

?Startup

provides details, but note the comment about only the base package
being loaded and the need to use somepackage::somefunction() or to
explicitly first load a package whose functions are used in .Profile.

Note also that .First could also be used instead of putting the code
in a profile file.

Cheers,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Joshua Wiley <jwiley.psych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just create a file called .Rprofile that is located in your working
> directory (this means you could actually have different ones in each
> working directory).  In that file, you can put in code just like any
> other code that would be source()d in.  For instance, all my .Rprofile
> files start with:
>
> r <- getOption("repos")
> r["CRAN"] <- "http://cran.stat.ucla.edu"
> options(repos = r)
> rm(r)
>
> So that I do not have to pick my CRAN mirror.  Similarly you could
> merely add this line to the file:
>
> source(file = "http://www.r-statistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Friedman-Test-with-Post-Hoc.r.txt")
>
> and R would go online, download that file and source it in (not that I
> am recommending re-downloading every time you start R).  Then whatever
> names they used to define the functions, would be in your workspace.
>
> Note that in general, you will not get any output alerting you that it
> has worked; however, if you type ls() you should see those functions'
> names.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Josh
>
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM, DrCJones <matthias.goddard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> How does R automatically load functions so that they are available from the
>> workspace? Is it anything like Matlab - you just specify a directory path
>> and it finds it?
>>
>> The reason I ask is because  I found a really nice script that I would like
>> to use on a regular basis, and it would be nice not to have to 'copy and
>> paste' it into R on every startup:
>>
>> http://www.r-statistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Friedman-Test-with-Post-Hoc.r.txt
>>
>> This would be for Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>>

> --
> Joshua Wiley