[R] Checking if the distribution follow a power law

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 18:26:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 8, 2010, at 10:34 AM, NatsumiYotsumoto wrote:

> Dear all.
>

> I'm using igraph package, and do a research about network analysis.
>
> With power.law.fit from igraph package, it seems that we can fit a
> power law
> distribution to some data.
>

> But, I want to know how to judge whether the network distribution
> follows a
> power law or not.

In order to determine whether something is from distribution A or "not-
A", one needs to have a sensible way of characterizing or considering
what would be in the range of distributions in the "not-A".
Unfortunately for your question, the range of possible distributions
is infinite. That means it would always be possible to have a "better
fitting distribution than what ever is distribution A.  If you have
alternatives to the power-law that you want to "put to the test", then
now is the time to offer them.

My guess is that you do not, so I will offer alternatives:

Alt A:
a) read the citations in the email you cited, especially Newman then ...
b) set up a histogram of your data using hist with logarithmic or
geometric progression of the breaks argument.
c) as a check on you exponent estimate, calculate alpha and se(alpha)
as on pg 4-5 of that citation.

Alt B:
require(sos)
???"fitting pareto"
???"fitting power network"   # and proceed from there

--
David.

--

David Winsemius, MD